April 16 - 20, May 21 - 25 and June 18 - 22, 2018
Maddie's® Dog Foster Program at Austin Pets Alive! and Austin Animal Center
Want to create a foster program designed to save more lives? Then the Maddie's® Dog Foster Program Apprenticeship is for you! Learn how to develop, implement and manage a robust foster program to increase lifesaving efforts in your community. This apprenticeship will teach you how to start a foster program, or increase the capacity of your existing program, through the effective use of volunteers. Attendees to this apprenticeship will learn how to set up and run a comprehensive foster program.
- Determine your target foster population
- Set goals and timelines based on objective data
- Manage your data via a web based or other foster tracking system
- Develop processes, policies and procedures
- Create a foster application contract, manual, and other training materials
- Recruit, train and retain foster families and a volunteer team to support them
- Maximize placement of large adult dogs in foster and adoptive homes
Who Should Apply?
This apprenticeship opportunity is for shelter/rescue organization directors, staff and volunteers who are interested in learning how to be the most effective at implementing this type of program in their organization. Organizations with limited staff and financial resources are especially encouraged to apply, as the programs taught may actually reduce operating costs.
How Does it Work?
This apprenticeship is five days, plus travel. Interns will spend five days at Austin Pets Alive! and Austin Animal Center in Austin, Texas. Lessons include building your foster program, recruitment and retention of foster families, building a support system, formulating data tracking methods, designing marketing and fundraising campaigns and everything else to help you start or grow your foster program.
A $1,200 stipend to cover travel and lodging will be awarded to the organization of each student chosen.
Applications February 27 - March 16, 2018 - Application Closed
Join the Maddie Network to be notified of future application openings