2007 by Jeanette Peters
Audience: Executive Leadership
Maddie's Fund is fortunate to have the assistance of Jeanette Peters, an organizational development specialist who works with a wide variety of community-based programs to improve their effectiveness and performance. In 2007, she developed an eight-part series on non-profit management.
Nonprofit Management Series Introduction
This series of pdf files is designed for start-up or grassroots level pet rescue oganizations to use in training Board members, staff or volunteers.
While not a comprehensive course in nonprofit management, this material does cover the basics that every member of a nonprofit Board or staff should know. It can be a starting point for further discussion and study by helping you to identify areas where your organization needs further development.
You will find that most of the materials comtemplate duties shared by volunteer Board members and staff in small organizations. In larger, fully-staffed nonprofits, staff will take on most of the duties and roles described, with Board serving in a governance capacity.
The material is arranged into eight separate documents covering the following:
- Part One: Organization Startup
- Part Two: Board Development and Organization Structure
- Part Three: Strategic Planning
- Part Four: Fiscal Oversight and Fundraising
- Part Five: Community Awareness and Public Relations
- Part Six: Human Resources: Staff and Volunteers
- Part Seven: Assessment and Evaluations
- Part Eight: Administrative Tasks and Meeting Management