Dear Animal Advocate,
The animal sheltering industry is finally getting hip to marketing. Agencies around the country are coming up with great adoption campaigns, ads, events, and publicity stunts - no wonder adoptions are up and deaths are down at animal shelters nationwide! Our Marketing Resource Guide directs you to a few of the best resources for marketing ideas.
Speaking of adoptions, Maddie's® Matchmaker Adoptathon blew the lid off the record books again this year with 2,312 adoptions in a single weekend. Best of all, 29% of the placements were senior or treatable pets. The details are inside.
In some quarters, the notion still persists that people won't adopt pets seven years and older. The fact that 193 senior pets found homes through our Adoptathon isn't the only proof that this is a myth. Read the responses from our senior pet survey, Marvelously Mature.
Finally, a reminder about some of Maddie's® great new tools and educational offerings. Our Comparative Database allows you to compare your lifesaving to other communities of similar size, demographics and animal intake. Our new series of shelter medicine webcasts makes nationally acclaimed shelter medicine experts only a mouse click away. Next up, The First 60 Minutes: Animal Sheltering's Critical Hour on October 6.
The Maddie's Fund Team
Marketing Resource GuideSeptember 2011
Nothing boosts adoptions like great marketing. For some clever, out-of-the-box marketing ideas, take a look at these great resources.
Maddie's Pet Adoption Days
Maddie's Pet Adoption Days will be held the weekend of May 31 - June 1, 2014, and in its fifth year, will expand to include 200 animal shelters and rescue groups in 14 communities across the U.S. Maddie's Fund has earmarked $10 million as a way to give back to the participating organizations, donating up to $2,000 per adopted dog or cat. The goal of the event is to find loving homes for 10,000 homeless dogs and cats over the weekend by waiving all adoption fees for the public.
Marvelously MatureSeptember 2011
Senior pets may have an advantage with some adopters. Maddie's Fund surveyed several successful senior pet adoption programs, and found out what it takes to tap into a senior-friendly adoption market.
- Free Webinar Makes it Easier to Rehome Shelter Dogs
- Maddie's Fund in Oz
- Ballpark Dogs (and Cats!)
- Maddie's at Purdue Veterinary Conference
- Announcing Maddie's Institute
- Mobile's New Look
- Broadway Barks Boffo!
- Final Spay/Neuter Results in Monroe and Loudon Counties, TN
- Buzz About Maddie’s Comparative Database
- Maddie's Fund NYC Grant
- Maddie's Fund Releases First Comparative Database of Shelter Statistics
- Cornell Intern Reports In
- 75 "Little New Yorkers" Find Homes
- New Happy Families Grow by Two or More!
In This Issue
- Marketing Resource Guide More
- Maddie's Pet Adoption Days More
- Marvelously Mature More
- Free Webinar Makes it Easier to Rehome Shelter Dogs More
- Maddie's Fund in Oz More
- Ballpark Dogs (and Cats!) More
- Maddie's at Purdue Veterinary Conference More
- Announcing Maddie's Institute More
- Mobile's New Look More
- Broadway Barks Boffo! More
- Final Spay/Neuter Results in Monroe and Loudon Counties, TN More
- Buzz About Maddie’s Comparative Database More
- Maddie's Fund NYC Grant More
- Maddie's Fund Releases First Comparative Database of Shelter Statistics More
- Cornell Intern Reports In More
- 75 "Little New Yorkers" Find Homes More
- New Happy Families Grow by Two or More! More
- Newsletter Archive Go