The Maddie's® Executive Leadership Fellowship at Charleston Animal Society
Founded in 1874, Charleston Animal Society (CAS) is a South Carolina institution, offering refuge and rehabilitation to over 9,000 animals each year and offering a myriad of services to an additional 10,000 animals to prevent them from entering the sheltering system.
With a staff of 100, supported by numerous volunteers, CAS cares for homeless animals and assists all of Charleston County’s residents with their animal needs. CAS operates as a nonprofit charitable organization, with a strong funding base.
With progressive leadership, CAS is embarking on a historic path to establish an adoption guarantee for each and every healthy and treatable animal in all of South Carolina.
How does it work?
- Spend 12 months in Charleston, South Carolina
- Initiate and complete a project for the no-kill community of Charleston, or the No Kill South Carolina initiative
- Present on learnings at the end of each quarter and participate in the evaluation process
- Pursue a leadership position in the animal welfare field for three years following the fellowship
Qualifications and eligibility
Maddie’s Fund® and Charleston Animal Society are seeking results-oriented visionaries with solid knowledge and accomplishments in animal welfare, specifically sheltering and field work. The Fellowship is designed for professionals in middle to senior management positions who are consensus builders with analytical and planning skills.
Preferred candidates will have demonstrated inspired leadership in developing and nurturing a dynamic organizational (department) culture that embraces growth and new ways of thinking.
Candidates should be prepared to seek participatory exposure to change management, organizational development, strategic planning, fiscal stewardship, human resource management and social marketing in a fast-paced environment.
Fellows will serve one year and receive $65,000 plus a generous benefits package and relocation stipend.
Applications accepted February 13 - March 6, 2017. The review and hiring process will take two-three weeks. Target start date for the fellowship is April 1.
TO APPLY, RETURN THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS NO LATER THAN 03/6/2017 TO:
- Cover Letter/Letter of Interest
- Resume and/or Curriculum Vitae
- List of References (minimum of 3) with contact information
Please include in your cover letter written responses to the following questions:
- What kind of departmental or organizational experience have you had and how has that experience shaped your approach to management?
- What is the staff size of the largest department/organization you have managed?
- What level of budgetary responsibility have you had and what factors resulted in an increase or decrease in the budget when you were in the job?
- What is your greatest strength as a communicator and how do you use it?
- What is a major challenge you have faced? Describe the process from beginning to end.
The Maddie’s® Executive Leadership Fellowship described on this website are subject to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, which provide that no citizen of the United States may, on the grounds of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, or disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.