March 21 - 23, April 11 - 13, and May 16 - 18, 2017
Maddie's® Pet Retention and Helpline Apprenticeship at St. Hubert's Animal Welfare Center
Do you want to learn ways to help the public find resources to keep their pets, or pets they have found, out of the shelter? To help pet owners find new homes for their pets, or helps owners find solutions to problems so that pets can stay in their current homes? Do you want to grow, implement and start a helpline for pet owners to help keep pets in their homes?
Who Should Apply?
These apprenticeship opportunities are for shelter/rescue organization directors, staff and volunteers who are interested in learning how to be most effective at implementing this type of program in their organization.
How Does it Work?
Students will experience three days of hands-on training with the staff at St. Hubert's in Madison, New Jersey, as they works with members of their community to find solutions to keep their animals out of the shelter. A significant part of the apprenticeship will be at St. Hubert's, working in-person with members of the community. While not working in person with community members, apprentices will learn a variety of ways to help pet owners, including ad placement resources, low cost medical options, behavioral resources, help with food, locating temporary low-cost or sponsored boarding, and even advocating on the owner's behalf if needed. Apprentices will collaborate with the program manager and volunteers to plan the implementation of similar programs at their home organizations.
Topics will include:
- Bridging the gap in the Animal Welfare Community
- Discussion on the process of establishing the helpline, marketing the helpline, and preparing appropriate materials for sharing
- How to determine the need for materials (training and behavior information, resource lists, lost and found materials, vaccine clinics, housing, etc.)
- Effective counseling and the importance of connecting with individuals over the phone
- Ensuring supporting materials / documentation and access to resources are adjusted as the need of the population you are servicing changes
- Finding a way to ensure you are connecting individuals in need with all of the resources available, both inside your organization and outside
A $1,500 stipend to cover travel and lodging will be awarded to the organization of each student chosen. When selected, students will be required to read and watch the online materials before going to St. Hubert's.
Applications February 3 - 10, 2017 - Application Closed
Join the Maddie Network to be notified of future application openings