All aboard the #FosterExpressChallenge!
Expedite your lifesaving this holiday season with short-term foster care. We will be awarding $55,000 in grants to shelters across the United States!
This magical short-term foster challenge will arrive November 22, 2019 and end on January 10, 2020 and focuses on short-term fostering only. The Foster Express Challenge is designed to help shelters get more dogs and cats out of the shelter during the hectic holiday season, get them more exposure, as well as attract new foster caregivers.
For this challenge, we are defining "short-term fostering” as stays in foster care of more than two hours and two weeks or less, e.g., sleepovers (1 - 2 nights), holiday fostering and off-site field trips that last 2 hours or more.
If you’ve never offered a short-term foster program before, now is the time! We’ll be sharing helpful examples, insightful research and holly jolly marketing tips to keep you chugging along.
Already have an existing program? Great! All are welcome aboard The Foster Express!
Registration starts on November 4 and ends on November 8, 2019
We believe in the magic of short-term fostering. Do you?
Who is Eligible to Participate?
To be considered to PARTICIPATE in this Challenge, your organization must:
- Be a U.S.-based government animal shelter or 501c3 animal shelter (with a physical building) focused on dogs and/or cats.
- Be an active participant in Shelter Animals Count.
- Be current on all grant reporting for any prior Maddie's Fund grants.
- Register for the Challenge by submitting a complete application through the Maddie's Fund Grants Portal. You will be notified by our team by November 15, 2019 if you meet the eligibility requirements to participate in the Challenge.
To be considered for an AWARD from this Challenge, your organization must:
- Meet the requirements above.
- Complete the project completion report (due January 24, 2020). Download a sample report. Please note, as this is a sample, the questions are subject to change.
- Have at least 25 dogs and/or cats participate in your short-term foster program during the Challenge period.
Additionally, if you are selected as an award winner from this Challenge, there will be a follow-up grantee report due April 10, 2020, which will require you to provide your organization's Live Release Rate and Length of Stay comparison for the Challenge period (2019-20) as compared to the same time period last year (2018-19). We can provide assistance if needed. Here is a sample of this report. Please note, as this is a sample, questions are subject to change.
Before the application window opens, you can prepare in the following ways:
- Download the Sample Application and prepare your responses to the application questions.
- If you haven't already, register as a user in the Maddie's Fund Grants Portal.
- Check out some of our research on short term fostering:
- Study: Do shelter dogs benefit from short-term foster sleepovers? | Chew On This
- Study: Can foster field trips improve welfare in dogs? | Chew On This
- Want a silent night at your animal shelter this season? Try holiday fostering | Chew On This
- Foster Care Resources page for new and/or existing programs
- Maddie’s® University Course: Introduction to Short-Term Foster and Field Trips
- Foster Care Flash Classes
- Webcast: Foster Sleepovers: How Temporary Fostering Can Improve the Lives of Shelter Dogs
- Webcast: Foster Field Trips: A Gateway to Community Engagement in Getting Pets Adopted
- Assessment of Short-Term Foster Care Programs in Shelter Animals
Those organizations that are awarded a grant through this Challenge will be asked to honor Maddie, the little dog who inspired a movement, through their social media and donor recognition about this grant on their website, donor wall, annual report, newsletter or other promotional materials or marketing communications, as appropriate. Learn more.