Maddie's® Idea Lab is offering summer scholar grants to graduate or veterinary students at colleges or universities in the United States. These grants provide students with a summer stipend to pursue research and develop expertise under the guidance of a mentor. We encourage research projects that support the evaluation of innovative ideas that support lifesaving efforts or the utilization of foster care for dogs and cats.
January 15, 2019 - February 15, 2019
- Applicants must be graduate or veterinary students currently enrolled and in good standing at a college or university in the United States. At this time, we are unable to accept applications from U.S. Territories.
- Applicants must be supported by a mentor at a college or university.
- Organizations participating in the project must be current on all grant reporting requirements if they have received funding from Maddie’s Fund® in the past (please contact us at 925.310.5450 if you have questions).
- We encourage that projects be conducted in association with a 501c3 animal welfare organization OR government animal control agency in one of the 50 U.S. states or Washington, D.C. At this time, we are unable to accept applications for projects that are conducted in conjunction with organizations in the U.S. Territories.
- Projects that intentionally harm animal life or welfare will not be accepted, and university projects that use live animals must be approved by the institution's Animal Care and Use Committee prior to funding.
- The amount of the grant provided to the student will be $5,000. The addition of indirect costs of 10% or less of the total amount is acceptable, which would increase the total amount requested to a maximum of $5,500. Please ask your college or university whether you should request funds for indirect costs in your application.
- The grant will be awarded to the associated institution (university or college), which will distribute the award to the veterinary student.
- It is acceptable for the Summer Scholar application to be linked to a Maddie’s® Idea Lab Basic Research or Maddie’s® Idea Lab Phase 1 – 4 grant. In your application, please note if this is the case.
- All recipients of a Maddie's® Idea Lab grant, including this 2019 Summer Scholar grant, are required to recognize Maddie's Fund in any and all publications and presentations arising from the research.
- Copies of all publications stemming from this project must be submitted to Maddie's Fund at the time of publication.
- A final report, via survey, must be submitted to Maddie's Fund within 30 days of project completion. We encourage submission of one to two photos of the student while working on the project.
Grant recipients will be asked to honor Maddie, the little dog who inspired a movement, through any social media, on their website, annual report, press release, article, newsletter, presentations, publications or other promotional materials or marketing communications which discusses this grant or related to any activities funded by the grant, as appropriate.
Grant applications will be accepted January 15, 2019 - February 15, 2019. Applications will be accepted until 11:59pm on February 15, 2019, but please note that our office is only staffed until 4pm Monday through Friday.