February 13 - 14, 2020
Maddie's® Fearful and Fractious Dog and Cat Handling Apprenticeship (Pilot)
Shelters are scary places even for most social animals. Does your organization need help with cats and dogs who are scared, shy or lack human social interaction? Learn how to recognize different types of fearful behaviors, minimize your stress and theirs and handle even the most fearful and fractious animals with confidence and care. Leave with the skills you need to safely intake, medicate and care for all the animals that enter your organization. This class will help you to reduce disease and increase lifesaving in your organization. If you are struggling with handling feral, fractious, shy or scared animals, come to this class. It will only be offered for a limited time, so act fast!
How does it work?
Two full, busy days of hands-on training in Austin. You will learn from experienced animal handlers to build your skills and confidence to safely and effectively care for scared, unsocial and shy dogs and cats.
You will learn:
- Hands-on training in low-stress, safe handling techniques for cats and dogs
- How to recognize different types of fearful behaviors in cats and dogs
- Understand what your organization handles these animals now and how to improve
- Tips and tricks to reduce stress fearful and fractious animals while in your care
- Lifesaving alternatives to fearful behavioral related deaths in your organization
- Ensure that all animals, regardless of behavior are vaccinated on their intake
- Without compromising care, how to move quickly and reduce stressful interactions
Who Should Apply?
This apprenticeship opportunity is for shelter/rescue organization directors, staff and volunteers who are interested in learning how to be the most effective, safe, low-stress handling techniques for fearful and fractious dogs and cats.
Stipends vary based on distance from Austin and length of apprenticeship. Applicants who are accepted into an apprenticeship program will receive detailed stipend information in their acceptance email. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Austin Pets Alive! has applied for advance approval of Certified Animal Welfare Administrator continuing education credits for this apprenticeship.
Applications November 11 - 22, 2019 - Application Closed
Applications are currently closed. Please check back for future opportunities.
Before the application window opens, you can prepare in the following ways:
- Review the Maddie's Fund Grant Requirements.
- Download the Sample Application and prepare your responses to the application questions.
- If you haven't already, Register as a User in the Maddie's Fund Grants Portal.
Join the Maddie Network to be notified of future application openings: