February 13 - 14 and April 16 - 17, 2020
High-functioning organizations have told us that the reason they're not saving more pets with intensive medical needs is that they don't have fosters who are trained to treat or handle them. Foster managers often don't have the know-how to train these fosters on how to care for injuries, incontinence, diabetes, administering fluids and medication, and the lists goes on. Come learn the skills you need to be an effective foster trainer and start to send injured and medical pets to foster homes. The Austin Pets Alive! mission is to help people help pets. Learn how to utilize willing fosters to increase your capacity for care, reduce medical overhead and build a community.
You will learn:
- The skills you need to safely and properly train foster caregivers, specific to populations you want to start to send to foster homes
- How to grow a community of foster caregivers who are willing to take on intensive medical cases
- Transform your organizational culture to allow people to do more for pets in need
- Topics we can cover include, but are not limited to:
- Diabetes care
- Incontinence care
- Crate-rest for animals who have been hit by cars or physically injured
- Administering medication and fluids
- And more!
How does it work?
Two full, busy days of hands-on training in Austin. You will learn from lifesaving instructors who trained dozens of foster caregivers to care for animals with intensive medical needs.
Who Should Apply?
This apprenticeship opportunity is for shelter/rescue organization directors, staff and volunteers who are interested in learning how to say yes to sending pets with intensive medical care needs to foster homes.
Stipends vary based on distance from Austin and length of apprenticeship. Applicants who are accepted into an apprenticeship program will receive detailed stipend information in their acceptance email. Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions.
Austin Pets Alive! has applied for advance approval of Certified Animal Welfare Administrator continuing education credits for this apprenticeship.
Applications November 11 - 22, 2019 - Application Closed
Applications are currently closed. Please check back for future opportunities.
Before the application window opens, you can prepare in the following ways:
- Review the Maddie's Fund Grant Requirements.
- Download the Sample Application and prepare your responses to the application questions.
- If you haven't already, Register as a User in the Maddie's Fund Grants Portal.
Join the Maddie Network to be notified of future application openings: