This Challenge is funded by Maddie’s Fund® and Michelson Found Animals Foundation and in collaboration with Adopt-A-Pet.com, Adoptimize, American Pets Alive!, ASPCA, The Association for Animal Welfare Advancement, BISSELL Pet Foundation, Best Friends Animal Society, Companions and Animals for Reform and Equity (CARE), HeARTS Speak, Humane Society of the United States, National Animal Care and Control Association, Petco Love, Petfinder Foundation, and PetSmart Charities.
Would you like to improve your community relationships?
You’re invited to join the Open Arms Challenge! This Challenge is all about opening our hearts and minds to more accessible and inclusive practices. For six weeks, starting November 22, 2021 and ending January 3, 2022, we are encouraging animal shelters and rescue organizations to pilot new approaches that open doors to new adopters and volunteers and welcome your entire community.
Not only do we hope to see adoptions, foster recruitment and volunteer interest go through the roof, but there’s also $200,000 in grants available!
The goal of this Challenge is to increase inclusivity and provide a welcoming environment for all community members. What that looks like is different for every organization. It can be as simple as providing literature in multiple languages or returning voicemails in a timely manner to completely redoing the adoption application, undertaking bias training or focusing on neighborhoods where adoption events were not previously held.
Registration is Closed
To help prepare for this Challenge, we have loads of resources available and will host collaborative Huddles, in which experts will focus on each welcoming practice and how they implemented them at their own organization.
This challenge will invite shelter and rescue organizations to embrace welcoming practices as follows:
- Processes are equitable and inclusive
- Customer success is ensured through customer service
- Marketing and communications are directed towards entire community
- Organization embraces an open and welcoming culture
- Organization creates partnerships with other organizations
- Other – not listed above
Most importantly, the practices each organization decides to undertake should reflect a desire to intentionally connect with all areas of the community and a willingness to listen to what their community wants and needs.
We are SO excited about this Challenge, and we cannot wait to see what you come up with!
The Challenge is open to U.S.-based government animal shelters or 501c3 shelter or rescue organizations focused on dogs and/or cats who want to increase inclusivity and provide a welcoming environment for all community members. Welcoming practices that will be considered are those that actively make your organization’s culture more open, equitable and inclusive for your community.
- Registration Period: Monday, August 23, 2021 – Monday, August 30, 2021 (Apply through our grants portal until 5pm PST on August 30, 2021.)
- Prep Period: October 1 – November 21, 2021. This is your chance to prepare for your new welcoming practices (update policies/procedures, attend Huddles, train staff, etc.)
- Challenge Period: November 22, 2021 – January 3, 2022. During this time, you will pilot your new practices.
- Participation Reports Due: Friday, January 21, 2022 (find a sample of that report here)
- Final Report (via Zoom Huddle) for Award Winners: Late March 2022 (find sample questions here)
To be considered to PARTICIPATE in this Challenge, your organization must:
- Be a U.S.-based government animal shelter or 501c3 shelter or rescue organization focused on dogs and/or cats.
- Be an active participant in Shelter Animals Count. (If you’re awarded a grant prize from this Challenge, you agree to join the Maddie’s Fund Coalition in Shelter Animals Count.)
- Be current on all grant reporting for any prior Maddie’s Fund grants.
- Register for the Challenge by submitting a complete application through the Maddie’s Fund Grants Portal. You’ll be notified by September 30, 2021 if you meet the eligibility requirements to participate in the Challenge.
- Recommended but not required: participation in Petco Love Lost and Million Cat Challenge.
To be considered for an AWARD from this Challenge, your organization must:
- Meet the requirements above.
- Submit the Participation Report (due Friday, January 21, 2022 by 5pm PST). Find a sample of this report here. Please note, this sample is provided for reference only and questions are subject to change.
Additionally, if you are selected as an award winner from this Challenge, there’s a final report via Zoom to be scheduled for late March 2022. Find a sample of this report here. Please note, this sample is provided for reference only and questions are subject to change.
Prizes will be determined based on the participation reports that we receive.
Maddie’s Fund and Michelson Found Animal Foundation
- $200,000 in grant prizes. Each participating organization will be eligible for up to $10,000 in grants.
- Free app access for every participating organization for 6 months.
The Association for Animal Welfare Advancement
- 5 organizations will be chosen to receive a coupon for one (each) free certificate course (Organizational Leadership or Fundraising) from The Learning Center.
Bissell Pet Foundation
- One shelter to be chosen to receive $1,000 in spay-neuter vouchers.
National Animal Care and Control Association (NACA)
- Scholarship funds for the online ACO Certification
- One year - Agency Membership for an agency
- One agency/organization selected will be featured in the Spring 2022 NACA Animal Care and Control News Magazine – both on the cover and in the feature article!
Browse our growing Welcoming Practices resources from Challenge partners, organized by category.
Huddles [coming soon]
From October 1, 2021 through November 14, 2021. Each will cover one area or "practice" of Open Arms. You can view a list of all practices. Each huddle will likely have two presenters, with a total of 20 minutes of presentation time and 20 minutes for questions. More details to come in September 2021.
Join the Open Arms Challenge group on Maddie’s® Pet Forum
Here you will connect with other challenge participants to brainstorm and share your success stories and tips. The end goal is to implement more welcoming policies, so let’s help each other out! Join now!