Do you need support in taking your foster or behavior program to the next level? These types of programs, when done successfully, are known to support pets and people. Maddie’s Fund offers free consulting services to support animal shelter and foster-based organizations in improving animal well-being, decreasing length of stay and increasing live outcomes. Consultations are led by Dr. Sheila Segurson, Director of Community Shelter Initiatives and Research, and Kelly Duer, Senior Community Shelter Initiatives Specialist.
We can help you with:
- Program assessment (in person or remote)
- Guidance and support
- Individual animal assessment and recommendations
- Training presentations for your paid and unpaid staff (volunteers) and your community
If you’d like to learn more or have a question for Kelly or Dr. Segurson, please fill out the form below so we can learn more about your needs. Dr. Segurson or Kelly will follow up within one week. Once you’ve completed the form, feel free to browse our resources.
What will happen after you submit a request
- Most people will hear back within two days but it may be up to a week if we’re visiting a shelter or speaking at a conference
- For organizations seeking ongoing support, our first step is your completion of a survey that tells us about your programs and practices
Dr. Sheila Segurson
Dr. Sheila Segurson is a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists and the Director of Outreach and Research for Maddie’s Fund. Dr. Segurson utilizes her background and experience in animal behavior to help animal welfare organizations keep pets out of the shelter, improve companion animal welfare and make objective decisions for pets with behavioral concerns or challenges.
As Senior Outreach Specialist for Maddie’s Fund, Kelly Duer's focus is on helping shelters and rescue organizations keep people and pets together and maximize the welfare of shelter pets through the implementation of robust foster care programs. In this role, Kelly has helped organizations across the United States develop, grow and fine tune their foster efforts.