July 29 - August 1, 2019
Maddie's® Hard-to-Place Cats Adoption Program Apprenticeship
Are you passionate about feline welfare? Do you want to learn how to see beyond a cat's cage reaction and be willing to give fearful shelter cats a chance to thrive? Do you want to learn proven strategies for attracting great fosters and adopters for challenging cats? If so, our Adoption of Hard-to-Place Cats Apprenticeship may be just for you!
About the Program
This program will provide an overview of Cat Town's approach to fulfilling their mission to save the cats at greatest risk of euthanasia at their local municipal shelter. You will learn how they utilize their foster program to help the hardest-to-place cats
This will include:
- Information about how Cat Town has developed and maintained a great relationship with the local municipal shelter
- How they utilize their foster program to help the hardest-to-place cats
- An overview of their experience running a cat café
- Information about the cage-free adoption center for the hardest-to-place cats that is set to open in May, 2007
- Learn about how to work with fearful and under socialized cats, including older kittens
- The strategies they employ to attract great fosters and adopters for challenging cats
Who Should Apply?
These apprenticeship opportunities are for shelter/rescue organization directors, staff and volunteers who are interested in learning how to be most effective at implementing this type of program in their organization.
How Does it Work?
The Hard-to-Place Cats Adoption Apprenticeship is four days, plus travel. Students will receive four inspiring days at Cat Town, in Oakland, California. These days will be packed with information that will provide a fresh and exciting outlook on how to foster hope, health and happiness for their hard to place cats.
A $1,500 stipend to cover travel and lodging will be awarded to the organization of each student chosen. When selected, students will be required to read and watch online materials before going to Cat Town.
Before you apply, please review our grant requirements. To apply to attend a Maddie's® Apprenticeship Program, your organization must be a U.S. based 501c3 or government animal welfare organization, and you must submit a completed application. The grant requirements about sharing your annual animal statistics and lifesaving percentage on your website, participating in Shelter Animals Count and Million Cat Challenge and being current on your grant reporting are all highly encouraged but not required.
Applications May 13 - May 24, 2019 - Application Closed
Applications are currently closed. Please check back for future opportunities.
Before the application window opens, you can prepare in the following ways:
- Review the Maddie's Fund Grant Requirements.
- Download the Sample Application and prepare your responses to the application questions.
- If you haven't already, Register as a User in the Maddie's Fund Grants Portal.
Join the Maddie Network to be notified of future application openings: