May 19 - 22, 2020
Maddie's® Medium and Large Adult Dog Foster Apprenticeship at Pima Animal Care Center
Want to use your foster program to save the lives of more adult dogs? Then the Maddie's® Medium and Large Adult Dog Foster Apprenticeship is for you! This apprenticeship will teach you how to increase the capacity of your existing program through effective communication and marketing, improved logistics and use of volunteers. Attendees to this apprenticeship will learn how to build and run a comprehensive foster program that includes options for adult dogs.
Who Should Apply?
This apprenticeship opportunity is for shelter/rescue organization directors and staff who are interested in learning how to be the most effective at implementing this type of program in their organization. Organizations with limited staff and financial resources are encouraged to apply, as the programs taught may actually reduce operating costs.
How Does it Work?
This apprenticeship is four days, plus travel. Interns will spend four days at Pima Animal Care Center in Tucson, Arizona. Lessons include creating a foster-centric culture in your community, building your foster program, recruitment and retention of foster families, building a support system, marketing foster pets and everything else to help you grow your foster program.
Includes the following components:
- Maximize placement of large adult dogs in foster and adoptive homes
- Create a community culture of fostering to get more big dogs out of kennels and into homes
- Learn how to build short-term dog foster programs tailored to your shelter's population and needs
- Set goals and timelines based on your shelter's historic data
- Recruit, train and retain foster families and a build volunteer team to support them
- Learn techniques for marketing pets from foster care to get them to permanent homes faster
A $1,200 stipend to offset the cost of travel and lodging will be awarded to the organization of each student chosen.
Before you apply, please review our grant requirements. To apply to attend a Maddie's® Apprenticeship Program, your organization must be a U.S. based 501c3 or government animal welfare organization, and you must submit a completed application. The grant requirements about sharing your annual animal statistics and lifesaving percentage on your website, participating in Shelter Animals Count and Million Cat Challenge and being current on your grant reporting are all highly encouraged but not required.
Applications March 2 - 9, 2020 - Application Closed
Applications are currently closed. Please check back for future opportunities.
Before the application window opens, you can prepare in the following ways:
- Review the Maddie's Fund Grant Requirements.
- Download the Sample Application and prepare your responses to the application questions.
- If you haven't already, Register as a User in the Maddie's Fund Grants Portal.
Join the Maddie Network to be notified of future application openings: